25 November 2009

Learning, and letting go

Physical preparations are easy. Airline tickets to Quito, clothing for 3 months at 9000 feet elevation, Spanish language study, finances... These things are concrete. I can see, touch, and control them. If they are lacking, I can obtain them. If they break, I can fix them. If they get lost, I can replace them.

It's easy to make a list and mechanically check things off as my plans progress.

It's easy to live in a world where I am in control.

But to the extent that I clench my fist around all that I consider to be important, I limit my availability to the One Who is actually in control. If I focus on my plans, I will miss His greater purpose. If I am intent on the present, I will forget about eternity. If I rely upon my conclusions, I will lose sight of the truth.

It's hard to let go of my ambitions.

It's hard to surrender my will.

"Therefore if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things that are on the earth. For you have died and your life is hid with Christ in God." Colossians 3:1-3

Jesus didn't come and die and resurrect so that I could continue on with that which is natural and easy. He came that we might have life, abundantly. He came to reconcile us to God so that those who were once far off would be brought near to Him. He came so that we might know truth. He came to provide a way for us to have a relationship with Him.

So, although I am armed with packing lists, vaccinations, Spanish verb conjugating skills, and Delta airfare, my preparations continue. Daily I lay before God processes, people, and plans. I'm seeking His Word, seeking His face, seeking His will. I know that His work encompasses far more than what I presently see or comprehend, and I am pressing forward to know Him.

I'm learning how to pray.

1 comment:

Eric M said...

Doing all that stuff seems like a whirlwind that would sweep everyone in the vicinity. In fact, only one of them has.

Verb conjugation lays a finger on everyone. I have young children mutilating Spanish daily as the conjugator inundates them with everyday phrases.

I have been told "No necesito." with a look communicating the of-course-you-understand-don't-you-gringo attitude of the speaker. By the time I finished processing all of it, I couldn't remember what I thought was necesito in the first place.

Thank God for a mother tongue.